Today Gartner Analyst Jarod Green announces the "Retirement" of the Gartner Magic Quadrant for "IT Service Desk".
Unless you are Cher, Bette or a major league baseball player, retirement is usually not something you come back from.
If you listen to the ITSM Weekly Podcast we have been predicting this for some time. Today is truly the end of an era.
Many things contributed to this in my personal opinion. The biggest owner of this is the software companies that decided in lieu of innovation, to just add more child / parent relationships (read ITIL processes).
Ok ITSM software vendors your wakeup call has been issued. Now get back to work and innovate. Here I will give you a head start:
- Mobillity / Location (i.e. touch, gesture, headless ITSM etc)
- Gamification (Badgeville.com)
- Group messaging
- Reputation and Feedback
- Tablet Support (i.e. this is not mobile and NOT web)
- Customer Experience Management (see Ian Clayton)
- Call center / external support (see get satsifaction)
- Help Desk (i.e. see zendesk)
- Consolidate Help Desk, Customer Support, Call Center and CRM.
- Social IT / Social Knowledge / Social Media
If you are buying help desk, service desk ITSM software, DEMAND more, and use this announcement to DEMAND IT.
“IT’s” later than you think.