Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 2:51AM
The Information Revolution ITSM Weekly Podcast Episode 109
Guests: David Cannon
- The Matts are Live at HDI
- After three years trying to get him on the show David Cannon is here!
- ITIL author V3 2011 Strategy
- Co-authored Service Operation 2007
- Are books the right format still?
- It’s a reference book not meant to be read cover to cover
- Much of the criticism is focused on ITIL not being something it never claimed to be
- How do we keep it current and relevant?
- Make it open, editable, accessible, more Wiki-style maybe?
- Could it be more tailor-able?
- People talk about Service Management in place of Systems Management but really the systems support the services
- Has running IT like a business got confused?
- Original intention of ITSM was very broad - about how does a CIO conduct themselves when managing this diverse area of people and networks and systems?
- Managing the information component – just as important as the technology element.
- When you think of IT as a business don’t take it too far – it can be an irresponsible approach e.g. “we don’t care what you do with the storage we’re just hosting”
- BMC has played a role trying to influence and change how things are defined in the industry
- Going to see more coming from BMC around Governance
- Got to maintain tension between leadership you’d like to provide and the reality of what your customers need from you
- More thought it being given to how to join these together
- BMC been in the market for decades and learned from their own and others mistakes
- What’s next for David Cannon? Leaving BMC for Forrester starting 6th May
- Forrester moving into consulting – analysts were getting more and more requests for follow up work
- David to head up the INO (Infrastructure and Operations) area
- What made ITIL so successful wasn’t the content, but it was accessible
- Tendency we see in consulting organisations is protectiveness over their material
- David in the community – has always been more of a personal thing
- ITIL wave has become the parent of something different – doesn’t have a name yet
- What’s going to happen after the revolution?
- It’s not quite here yet
- Wave of technological innovation been growing and growing – once in hand of individual user it’s an information revolution. Who’s going to step up and say these are the rules?
- Real value of IT is still to be recognised. So much that Business is going to be able to do
- During Pink13 was asked which great historical figure he’d like to speak to David said Karl Marx – because he understood the radical nature of change and how it effects society
- What will the information revolution mean?!
THE LIVE SHOW